11.11.2013

DAY ELEVEN:: Veterans day

Today just like everyone else I am reflecting and thanking the soldiers.
I'm thankful to my family members who served.

My Grandpa Newell - My mom's dad. I never had the chance to know my Grandpa Newell, he died right around my first birthday. He served with the Army in World War II.
Ever since I was little, I remember always treasuring the flag my mom kept in a glass case on our bookshelf, and when I was a little older and finally knew what that flag meant, I was very proud to be his granddaughter. I wish I had a picture of him but this will do.

Not the one my mom has, this one is off google.

My Grandma Kirkwood - My dad's mom. My grandma served out of Pensecola, FL has a member of the Air Force. Her job was to develop and interpret pictures taken by pilots. This is the only biological grandparent I have ever known. My dad's dad who was also Air Force and my grandma got divorced when my dad was only 3. Her stories from the military have always fascinated me.

My Grandma and I at my cousins wedding last year.

My cousin Cory - Cory is actually currently serving in the Marines. Right now he is home but he has been to the middle east. I don't exactly know Cory that well, we didn't grow up together like I did my other cousins. But none the less I am proud of him and am thankful for his service.
(no picture of him, without his permission)

My brother in law Joe - Joe is married to my sister Michele. I haven't met either of them yet, except through FB, because they live on the other side of the country. Joe is a member of the Navy, and even though I don't know him, I am extremely thankful for his service.
(again no picture, without permission)

Tav's Grandpa Jack - Recently Tavis' grandparents moved to Utah, and I have been blessed to get to know him better. Jack is a veteran of the army having served in the Korean war. He is such a sweet and gentle person, but a really hard worker. He shows me true patriotism, and I am so glad to know him and thank him for his service.

I am thankful to all the men and women, past and present, who have and are serving our country. Keeping us safe. I'm thankful for my friends and family who go months and years without seeing their families so we can be safe. And worse of all I'm thankful to the ones who sacrificed their lives for all of us. I believe our soldiers are true heroes. Thank you for all you do. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment